Monday 2 April 2007

Remember when....



Emo meant something TOTALLY different?

Emo: Geeky, all guy bands like The Get Up Kids and The Ataris working off the dumb (I mean it in the most musical non-offensive way) predecessors like Weezer and Fountains of Wayne, using simple infectious cords and endearing lyrical statements.

Suddenly out of nowhere, Emo is now this dark master driving forward Panic! at the Disco Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance. Now, people think I'm being Indier than thou, but I can't tell the difference between P!ATD and FOB, I JUST CAN'T! What makes it so much more confusing is that The Ataris have gone all serious, Weezer are on hiatus and the Get up Kids seemingly vanished after producing one of the great records of the late 90s in "Something to Write Home About" (which actually WAS something to indeed, write home about).

Luckily The Hold Steady have turned up and thrust themselves towards the eager record-buying public. OK, it's a bit nu-skool Emo, but it rings of classic classic emo charm and I for one welcome them.

The Hold Steady - Chips Ahoy
and just because I can...The Ataris - San Dimas High School Football Rules